Top 10 Tips for Reinventing Yourself
By way of definition, re-invention is the process through which something is changed so much that it appears to be entirely new. Our ability to reinvent ourselves will be the key to our survival and growth in our academics, businesses or careers.
It is human to seek stability and as such, the temptation to settle with what we already know is always strong. We easily become used to routines because we are creatures of habit. Nobody is comfortable with situations where they cannot tell what will happen next and how they will get through the curves and bends they currently see in their lives. Most of us, at some point in our lives, are presented with the opportunity to reinvent ourselves.
With the pandemic for example, it has become so obvious that some things can no longer go the way we want them even when we so earnestly desire them to be. We must realize that change will happen with or without our permission. A few times we may see it coming, some other times we won’t see it coming.
This is a particularly refreshing time for those people who welcome change, because it gives them a reason and a purpose to change everything at the same time.
Why is it important to keep reinventing and embracing change?
1. We are all designed to evolve. Remember the characteristics of living things aka MR NIGER-D, every feature there clearly explains us.
2. The environment is changing. Technology-wise, economically, the weather etc. Change is happening.
3. People and organizations are growing and evolving around you. If you stop growing, you become obsolete.
4. Your life is changing, whether you’re conscious of it or not.
5. God in His wisdom will always initiate change because it’s important to our growth and progress.
This is why we must embrace change and make the most of changing times. We must begin to see change as opportunity and not problem or difficulty. Looking at our lives as humans, we grow through change and re-invention from childhood to adulthood.
If you relish the opportunity to change, please consider these Top 10 Tips for reinventing yourself:
1. If you’re in a new job or location, you can make new friends. Choose carefully and wisely. You don’t need to be everybody’s friend. Learn to keep your circle small.
2. Start early. When you show that you have a zest for life and can’t wait to get at it each day, new opportunities will be presented to you. Volunteer even before you are asked. You will win some and you will lose some, but overall, you will win because everyone will know you as the one who is up for everything.
3. Practice being a great listener. You’ll be amazed at what you can learn about people, places, and everything else if you just listen. Ask lots of questions, on the job, about new trends. Ask some good ones…and listen.
4. Stand up and speak out for things you have a passion for. Let others know that you are both willing and able to make your point, debate an issue, or speak up for those who have no voice. People will notice that you are selfless and put others before yourself. Be known for something. Whether it is sports, politics, business, be so good and known as an expert in it.
5. Be a good neighbor. Our society needs more of such right now. Take time to help others. Practice random acts of kindness at every opportunity. Others will appreciate you and speak well of you, especially if you help with no thought of a reward. Do it because you can and for no other reason. Not with eye-service or public attention though.
6. Keep yourself fit and healthy. You don’t have to go crazy – just eat healthy, drink plenty of water, and do some form of exercise that raises your heart rate for 30 minutes each day.
7. Be generous with your praise for everybody who has earned it. Giving credit to others will show how much you appreciate them, and it will come back to you tenfold. A kind word genuinely spoken about someone can lift their spirits.
8. Take time to explore the changes happening around you and inside you…. alone. You’ll notice and appreciate more if you’re alone. Make notes. It will make for great conversations later!
9. After working so hard, allow yourself the opportunity to relax and enjoy yourself. You need it to go on.
10. Thank others – for everything, all the time. Show your gratitude to as many people as you can, as often as you can. Most people are starved of thanks for a job well done, for sharing their wisdom, or for acknowledging their kindness. People will appreciate you forever if you show them gratitude for good words and deeds.
The passage of time is not all that there is to growth and progress, change and reinvention are necessary components.
If you apply yourself to all 10, you will, indeed, be a completely different person – one that you consciously designed. Try it – you’ll see the results